The purpose of an annotated bibliography is to learn about a topic through a critical review of literature and encourage a deeper engagement with literature to develop analytical skills
This assignment presents a method for examining several theories important and useful to the nurse practitioner role.
Preparing the Assignment
- For this assignment, choose from the theories/models presented in the weekly lesson.
- Health Belief Model
- Transtheoretical Model of Behavioral Change
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Family Systems Theory
- Family Assessment and Intervention Model
- Praxis Theory of Suffering
- Search the library for literature. Locate 5 (five) articles related to the selected theories. You may use no more than two articles related to each theory/model.
- Sources should be related to nursing practice using the selected theory/model.
- Sources should be scholarly, relevant to the theory/model and to nursing, and published within the past 5 years. If source is older than 5 years, instructor permission should be obtained and the historical significance of the article should be explained.
- Prepare an annotated entry for each source. Begin with the full APA citation of the source, followed by 2-3 paragraphs:
- Summarize the article.
- Describe how the article relates to the chosen theory/model.
- Reflect on how the article could (or could not) be relevant to future Nurse Practitioner practice.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
- The paper should include a separate title page using APA format. No reference page is necessary as the references will be incorporated into the body of the bibliography.
- Entries should be alphabetized by author.
- A minimum of 5 (five) scholarly references must be used. Required textbooks for this course, and Chamberlain College of Nursing lesson information may NOT be used as scholarly references for this assignment. Be aware that information from .com websites may be incorrect and should be avoided.
- References are current – within a 5-year time frame unless a valid rationale is provided and the instructor has approved them.
- In-text citations are not required in the annotated bibliography.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
Quantity of Sources
The annotated bibliography contains at least 5 sources.
Quality of Sources
Articles reviewed are from scholarly sources
Recency of Sources
All sources are published within 5 years; if older, permission to use obtained and historical significance explained
Summary of Annotations
Annotations comprehensively describe source material, clearly conveying main ideas.
Relation to Theory/Model
Annotations contain a clear description on how the source relates to the theory/model
Annotations contain a clear reflection of the relevance of the source material to future practice.
Total CONTENT Points= [170 pts]
Annotated bibliography format utilized. Entries are alphabetized by author. Title page included.
APA Format (current edition)
Title page and references must follow APA guidelines as found in the current edition of the manual. One deduction for each type of APA style error
Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in the current edition of the APA manual.
Total FORMAT Points= [30 pts]
ASSIGNMENT TOTAL= 200 points